So how long to grill frozen burgers? Grilling the perfect burger can be a challenge when cooking from frozen, but with the right instructions and some patience, you can get that juicy burger taste without defrosting. Whether starting out as a brand-new chef or an experienced home cook who is looking to perfect their grilling technique, understanding how long to grill frozen burgers will help make your meal a delicious success.
Through this post of how long to grill frozen burgers, we’ll guide you through the steps of determining appropriate grill time for fully cooked and raw burgers – so no matter what kind of burger you have in mind today, let’s get started on building the best grilled burgers around!
Is It Health-Safe to Cook Frozen Burgers on Grill?
The short answer is yes, you can safely cook burgers that were frozen when purchased. It is best to thaw the burgers before cooking, but it is not essential. Cooking frozen burgers on a grill will take longer than defrosted patties and there may be some additional sticking due to ice crystals present on the burger surface.
As long as you follow the safety guidelines outlined further below, how long to grill frozen burgers can be a quick and easy process.
Should I Use Wood or Coal to Grill Frozen Burgers?
The answer to this question depends on how you plan to cook your burgers. When using a charcoal or gas grill, it is best to use a combination of indirect and direct heat for optimal cooking. This means that you will start the burgers over indirect heat and once they are nearly cooked through move them over direct heat.
For wood grills, the indirect heat is still important for how long does it take to grill frozen burgers, but you may find that a higher temperature is necessary. Be sure to use a thermometer to ensure the charcoal or wood has reached an appropriate temperature before starting your grilling session.
How Long To Cook Frozen Burgers On Grill?
The cooking timing for how long to grill frozen burgers will depend on how thick your patties are and how well done you prefer your burgers.
A general rule of thumb for how long does it take to grill frozen burgers is about 10 minutes per side over medium-high heat. If you prefer your burger patties more well-done, you can go up to 12 minutes per side. Remember, always use a thermometer to check the internal temperature!
- Thin Patties: 4-6 minutes per side
- Thick Patties: 8-12 minutes per side
For raw burgers, how long to cook frozen burgers on the grill will depend on how thick your patties are.
- Thin Patties: 6-8 minutes per side
- Thick Patties: 10-15 minutes per side
Safety Tips For Grilling Frozen Burgers
The USDA recommends cooking all burgers, no matter how they’re frozen or how you plan to cook them, to an internal temperature of 160°F. When using the grill, make sure that you keep your lid closed as much as possible and turn your patties occasionally to prevent them from sticking or burning. Additionally, make sure to keep a clean grill surface and use cooking gloves when handling your burgers. Just as importantly, never leave your patties on the grill unattended.
Cooking Tips For Frozen Burgers On Grill
When you are cooking a frozen burgers, remember that it is important to be patient and keep a close eye on your patties due to the extended cooking time. Here are some tips for how long does it take to grill frozen burgers
– Use a food thermometer to ensure that your patties reach the recommended internal temperature of 165°F (73.9°C) for frozen burgers grilling.
– Make sure that the heat is distributed evenly around your patties for how long to grill frozen burgers
– Add some olive oil or cooking spray onto the surface of each patty before placing it on the grill
– After grilling frozen burgers, let the patties rest for at least 3 minutes before serving as this allows the juices to redistribute throughout your patty
– Cook extra patties and freeze them while they are still warm. This will reduce how long to grill frozen burgers should you need a burger in a hurry!
What wood should I use to grill frozen burgers?
When how long to grill frozen burgers, you can use any type of wood chips that you like. Most commonly used are hickory, mesquite, and apple woods for how long to grill frozen burgers. Experiment with different types of wood chips to find the flavor profile that you love!
Do I need to thaw my burgers before grilling?
No, grilling frozen burgers does not require that your burgers be thawed first. However, it is best to thaw them when possible as this reduces how long does it take to grill frozen burgers and helps ensure even cooking. If you do choose to cook your patties while they are still frozen, it is important to use a food thermometer and cook them for the recommended time. Also, make sure to check the internal temperature before serving.
Is it OK if I grill direct frozen burgers?
Yes, how long to grill frozen burgers is an acceptable way of cooking your burgers. However, it is important to make sure that you follow safety guidelines and use a food thermometer to make sure that your patties reach the recommended internal temperature before serving. Additionally, keep in mind that how long does it take to grill frozen burgers will take longer than if you were to thaw the patties first.
Grilling frozen burgers doesn’t have to be difficult or complicated. Just remember to use a food thermometer and follow safety guidelines when how long to grill frozen burgers.
When in doubt, always refer to the USDA recommendations for how long to cook your patties. Finally, experiment with different types of wood chips and seasonings to find the flavor profile that you love!
- USDA. (2019, June 10). Safe Minimum Internal Temperature Chart. Retrieved from https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/safe-minimum-internal-temperature-chart/ct_index
- Food Network. (n.d.). How to Grill Frozen Burgers. Retrieved from https://www.foodnetwork.com/grilling/grilling-basics/how-to-grill-frozen-burgers
- Bon Appetit. (2020, April 6). Here’s How to Grill Frozen Burgers and Other Frozen Foods. Retrieved from https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-grill-frozen-foods
- Serious Eats. (2015, June 15). How to Grill Frozen Burgers. Retrieved from https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/how-to-grill-frozen-burgers.html