Well, who wants to know how to defrost ground turkey? Do you have a package of ground turkey in your refrigerator that needs to be defrosted? Don’t worry – there are several easy ways to do it! In this blog post, we’ll show you three methods for defrosting ground turkey: using the microwave, using the fridge and using water.
We’ll also give you some tips on how to cook it once it’s been defrosted. Let’s go to find out the answer of how to defrost ground turkey with me!
Is It Safe to Defrost Ground Turkey with Microwave?
Let’s start with how to defrost ground turkey in the microwave, which is a common kitchen appliance in every home. Ground turkey can be safely thawed in the microwave. To safely defrost your ground turkey, follow these three simple procedures from USDA FSIS:
- In the refrigerator (up to 24 hours)
- Under cold water (at least one hour)
- In the microwave on the defrost setting (a few minutes)
How to Defrost Ground Turkey with a Microwave?
Using the microwave is the first method in series how to defrost ground turkey. To thaw ground turkey in the microwave in the most efficient manner, remove it from its original packaging, place it on a plate that is safe for use in the microwave, cover it with a lid, and microwave it for two minutes per pound on the defrost mode or at a power level of thirty percent.
You shouldn’t keep it in its packaging since the high temperatures created by the microwave can melt the plastic film or styrofoam container if you do. You will need to adjust the power level of the microwave as well as the cooking time in accordance with the size and weight of the ground turkey that you wish to defrost.
In order to defrost one pound of ground turkey, the defrost timer should be set for two minutes at a power level of thirty percent. The wattage of your microwave is another factor that can affect the amount of time needed to defrost ground turkey.
Tips to Defrost Ground Turkey in the Microwave
After learning how to defrost ground turkey in the microwave. Let’s follow the tips below to successfully thaw ground turkey in the microwave.
- Place the frozen ground turkey on a platter that can be microwaved. Remove the ground turkey from its packaging and place it in a microwave-safe dish. The plate should be glass or ceramic, and large enough to allow for a 1-inch area around the ground meat to catch any liquids that leak from the turkey. Ground turkey should never be microwaved in its original package because the styrofoam and plastic can catch fire or melt.
- 1 pound ground turkey, defrosted for 2 minutes at 30% power. Set the microwave to 30% power or thaw and place one pound ground turkey in the device. After that, check it and continue in one-minute increments until the ground turkey is evenly thawed. Rotate the block of ground meat every minute to ensure consistent thawing. Reduce the time to 1 minute per pound if the turkey is already partially defrosted.
- Cook thawed turkey right away. To avoid the quick growth of bacteria, cook the ground turkey as soon as possible after defrosting it. Bacterial growth has already begun because microwave defrosting begins cooking to some amount when thawing. The leftover thawed turkey should be returned to the refrigerator or freezer as soon as possible to avoid the growth of food-borne pathogens.
How to Thaw Ground Turkey with Water?
If you don’t want to defrost in the microwave, you want to defrost them with water, how to defrost turkey with water read on to find out.
Thaw frozen ground turkey by immersing it in a container or basin of cold water. Submerge the turkey in water for at least 1 hour for every 1 pound of ground turkey for this thawing process. Change the water in the cold water bath every 30 minutes to reduce the risk of hazardous bacteria.
How to Defrost Ground Turkey in the Refrigerator?
This is also the last defrost method mentioned in the series how to defrost ground turkey. While many sources claim that ground turkey will thaw in the fridge in 8 to 12 hours, my experience has been that it takes 12 to 24 hours. This one requires careful planning!
- Remove the frozen turkey packet from the freezer and set it in a bowl or container.
- If the package leaks while defrosting, wrap it with plastic wrap to prevent the spread of bacteria.
- Place the bowl with the frozen ground turkey on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours. Make use of the meat within 48 hours.
How can I fast thaw frozen ground turkey?
By utilizing the microwave, you can quickly defrost ground turkey. Select the defrost option or use 30% power for 2 minutes of heating. Other than these options, you may potentially place it in the fridge or run cold water over it, but both will take longer.
Is it possible to thaw ground turkey in hot water?
No, ground turkey should not be defrosted in boiling water. Hot water increases the likelihood of hazardous bacteria multiplying in the meat.
Is it possible to cook frozen ground turkey?
Using frozen ground meat saves time and prevents the meat from drying out or becoming overcooked. It also saves you time!
What happens if you don’t properly defrost the turkey?
If you’re using a frozen turkey, make sure it’s completely defrosted before cooking. If it is still partially frozen, the recommended cooking times will not be long enough to thoroughly cook it. Bacteria that cause food poisoning may be able to survive the cooking process.
I hope this post was helpful in showing you how to defrost ground turkey. Whether you choose to use the microwave, water bath, or oven method, just remember to cook your turkey right away after it has thawed. And as always, if you have any questions or comments about this post or any of my recipes, please feel free to leave me a message on my website dixieshomecookin.org. I love hearing from you and am always happy to help out in any way that I can! Thanks for reading and I’ll see you soon at dixieshomecookin.org!